Monday, January 16, 2012

Sure way (if that exists) to maintain your employability


There is been hundreds of thousands of articles written about the corporate world and who jobs are unsecure nowadays and that one must maintain a high level of productivity and compete against one another in order to keep our job.

That is if you want to lose your energy fighting shoulder to shoulder against the others thousands who does the same work as you.  Instead, why don`t you apply a whole new strategy.  Let’s borrow the concept of niche from marketing and apply it to your work.
Create your niche.

What does that mean?

I`ll give you an example.  In my company I realized that most people are computer illiterate.  And they do most of their work by hand like they used to for 20 years.  Of course they use emails to communicate and all.  But basically what they do is reproduce some patterns over and over again.  Either on some computer screens or with good old paper.

What I did, I used my computer skills to automate some, and in some cases, whole of the work the people used to.  And since not much people are knowledgeable of coding, I’m the only one in my department that can change, improve, modify, maintain, the tools they are now using.

I created my niche.  Sure they could fire me tomorrow morning.  Of course they can replace me.  But it would bring them about 1 year behind from where they are today.  So they keep me.

Find out what you are good at in your work.  Something people always come to you for.  Develop is as a specialty.  Bring it to such a level, that if anyone would want to compete you, they would have to put enormous amount of time to play catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment