Monday, December 27, 2010

The case of my friend Eric

As you know by now one of my fundamental aim in life is to be totally independent of fortune. I find that if one wants to live strategically, one must not depend on anyone else for one financial survival.

Before Christmas I went to lunch with my friend Eric. And I asked him how it went at work. Then he started saying that he will not meet his sales goals for this year and that he will not receive his bonus. Now he needs his bonus for some stuff he needs to pay. But he won't get it because it is unlikely that he will make his numbers. Why? Because his market are the governmental and municipal software departments. And as of last August, all government and municipal instances had freeze their spending for budgetary reasons. Leaving my friend flat on his belly.

Now that is what I call job dependent: relying solely on your current job to generate revenues. And believe it or not. My friend is no exception. This is the norm! Most people live like that. Lacking the initiative, the will or the awareness that they need to escape from that trap which companies are more than happy to keep their employees. Making them good sheeps. Doing mostly what ever the company wants. Trapping them in the company's logic.

This is what I want to avoid for myself. I've been a cubicle prisoner for 20 years or so. And I say it's enough! NO MORE!

Now. Imagine my friend living my strategy. He is a good seller. And I believe that he should use his skills for himself. For his own purpose. So if lets say, on January 1st 2010, he would have developed his own company. Online store or what ever. And now lets imagine that by August, at the time the budget freeze has arrived, he's making money coming from his company. How would he have reacted? Well at least with a lot less stress don't you think? Knowing that he's able to generate revenues on his side.

Now lets go further, in my friend's current reality. Lets sit with him at his annual review. It will probably look something like this:

Boss: Well hello Eric, sit down would you.

Eric (stressed): thanks

Boss: Now Eric, lets get to the point. You have not met your target last year.

Eric: I know but it was not my fault. It's because...

Boss: Now Eric. Let's not fools ourselves. You had targets. Ones that you agreed to at the beginning of the year. And you didn't meet your target. True or not?

Eric: True but...

Boss: Well that's it. Lets keep it to the bottom line. Your didn't meet your target. Therefore I cannot give you you're bonus.

Eric: ...

Boss: That will be all Eric. And please don't take it bad. I know you are a good and hard working employee. That is why I fought to the board to keep you, even if you didn't meet your target. You will just have to work harder next year.

Ends the meeting.

Now lets take this very same meeting but imagine my friend adopting my independence strategy from January 1st 2010 and his business is going well.

Boss: Well hello Eric, sit down would you.

Eric (relaxed): thanks. (He leans back on the chair).

Boss: Now Eric, lets get to the point. You have not met your target last year.

Eric: That's true

Boss (caught a little off guard): Ok then can you explain to me why this is so?

Eric: Well boss, as you are well aware, because we discussed that several times, there was a freeze on budget dating last August.

Boss: Yeah I know but you understand that we are looking for people who will finds ways, think out of the box... bla bla bla (insert here the fashionable buzz word of the day)...

Eric: I see.

Boss (now not knowing how to handle my friend): Well, you know we expected better and therefore I cannot give you you're bonus. I'm sorry.

Eric (still relaxed): That's ok.

Boss (getting confused because he really don't understand my friend's reaction): Look Eric. Don't take it bad. Next year if you work harder then may be...

Eric (with a very soft voice): Listen. With all due respect. I don't take it bad. You don't have to over do it. I understand your means and I accept it. I like to work here and that is why I stay. Now if this is all. If you don't mind, I have customers to call. (With a disarm full smile) If you will excuse me. And thank you for taking the time.

Now. Can you begin to grasp the endless power one acquire over its employer when one does not need it for his/her financial survival. The employer just plainly loose any edge on his/her employee.

Getting to this stage, the employer will have only two courses of action. 1. He will freak out and fire the employee. Not knowing what to do with it. 2. He will not know how to handle his/her employee. And feeling there is danger here in this unknown, unprecedented situation, the employer will leave the employee alone. And focus on the other employees that shows their fears.

And believe me. I know it works. I live to tell.

Food for thought people.

No comments:

Post a Comment