Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Poker wisdom applied

There's a saying in Poker that I take as a golden rule:"If, within a half an hour of playing Poker, you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy."

Yesterday I had some stuff to do downtown close to the congress center. After I did my things, I went into the congress center because I knew there was a good Cafe and I wanted to take my time, enjoy a good Latte and do some reading for a while.

I was surprised to see that the Cafe was jammed packed with people. There were obviously a congress going on. I managed to find a place anyway but instead of reading my book. I looked the people around. Trying to assess what they were attending. They seamed very excited and determined...

There's a guy on the next table that had his binder with him from the congress. There I've been able to identify that they were all in a seminar. It was a seminar on "how to get rich and control your life" kinda. I got more curious because ten years ago this was the kind of seminar I would have attended. But now I lost all interest into that kind of stuff. I find them redundant and there is nothing there that I haven't learned in my MBA. (Yes I own a MBA).

With a little research (asking the security guard at the entrance), I've been able to determine that the seminar cost 300$ and there were about 280 people subscribed. Then it doomed on me! 300$ times 280 people makes a gross revenue of 84 000$. For a 3 days seminar!!!

Imagine that you run one seminar per month, your gross revenue for the year are 1 008 000$!

Over a million in gross revenue to tell people how to straighten their lives, make a budget, save money and start a company! WOW! I'm definitively not in the right ball game. I should do this instead.

Then it came to my mind the golden rule of Poker:"If, within a half an hour of playing Poker, you don't know who the patsy is, you are the patsy." The entire process took me less than a half hour to assess. From "what are they all doing here?" to "Wow! I should do this!"

So while leaving the premises, I wondered to myself:"Is it possible that there could be 280 patsies in a room and just one gamer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment