Monday, January 3, 2011

The MED Concept and some unconventional thoughts on corporations

I encountered the MED concept while reading the Four hour body from Tim Ferriss.

In his book he tells about the concept of MED which stands for the Minimum Effective Dose.

Tim uses this concept in bodybuilding. It is the usage of the minimum effort in order to get the maximum result. Anything beyond that is wasteful.

Then a thought occurred to me. The MED concept can be applied to the work world. When you are working for someone else. You are always paid by the hour. Not on the quantity of work you do nor on the quality of work that you do (respecting a standard of course). So why doing more? For you fellow recognition? For a chance to get the corner office? Is that worth it? What do you really want?

I decided that I will escape from the prison of the corporate world in which the slave has to punch on time in the morning, do what ever the boss tell while he's/she's serving his/her time. And all that for what? For a mere biweekly fix. Just enough for you to go along but not enough to escape from your corporation's influence.

The company then is nothing other than a pusher.

My time is mine. And I will use the concept of MED at work: give the company the work its requires up to the level they require. But nothing else or nothing more than that. The time I will save I will put it on my own financial projects.

Corporations likes buzz words so here is one: it is a win win situation. The company gets the work done with the quality required. And I get to win some hours to which I can spend time on my projects.

In fact the only thing the company would be loosing is the zealous work. If you have been working into an organisation for a while you understand what I mean. You always end up earing the boss say the following: "the company needs you... we require total commitment from our employees... we don't look at the hours made here... with hard work you can... " and just what ever crap they trow at us. And you know what? It works! Most of the people and employees I cross believe that crap! (Or may be they don't. But they let the boss speak so they can get the pay check). Do you know why it works? Because that's the only song they've been earing all their life. Therefore they think that this is it. That's the way it is. Period.

The is a massive representation of Plato's Cave Allegory.

Well. It's time to show another path. MED is one representation of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment