Sunday, February 20, 2011

Strategical advantage - Know what's coming


I am not too fond of free advertising. But I must admit that this time I got a Wow! moment. I just read an article in the last version of The Economist. The article is titled Print me a Stradivarius. Its a must read if you want to know what's coming in the future in the world of manufacturing.

That's for manufacturing. But I always felt that, in general, I was ahead of things, ahead of news and discoveries when I am reading The Economist. This feeling has been confirmed to me a few years ago when one of my MBA teacher told the class the same thing: you want to know what's coming ahead of time... read The Economist.

This brings me to a generalization of strategy that, one must make sure that he/she is ahead of its time, knowing what is coming. And if not knowing for sure at least get a good feeling of it.

Read, get informed, talk to knowledgeable people on things that is of interests to you. Then you'll be able to foresee what's coming and prepare for it. You'll be ahead of the pack.

It's a very good feeling when people come to you to tell you all about this new thing that's come up and you knew all about it... for two years now.

I am going to do a little test. How in advance can I be when I read something in The Economist? I read the article about Three-dimensional manufacturing yesterday. Lets see how long it takes for that innovative information to get known and down on the street with Mr & Mrs common people.

And the clock is ticking... from... now!

No comments:

Post a Comment